Most new buildings or major changes to existing buildings or to the local

 environment need consent, this is known as planning permission.

Your local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development – anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre – should go ahead. Find your local planning authority.

Certain minor building works – known as permitted development – don’t need planning permission. This is because the effect of such developments on neighbours or the surrounding environment is likely to be small.

A technical guidance document published by Communities and Local Government is available to download. This document sets out the rules concerning what extensions, improvements and alterations a householder may make to their house and the area around it without the need for an application for planning permission.

(Download file)

If planning permission is not required your local authority will only confirm this in writing once a certificate of Lawfulness application has been made for a small fee.

The planning application fee for an extension to a dwelling costs £150.00. Once a planning application has been submitted to the council it usually takes around 8 weeks to receive a decision.

Please note that Building Regulations approval is a separate matter from obtaining planning permission for your work. Learn more about the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations.